Here at Mommy Authority, we are all about sharing. Sharing our stories and experiences in the hope that we can all become more educated and aware and of course to be better moms! After all knowledge is power and we are all about empowering moms.
After giving birth to my first child, I remember feeling amazingly well. I wanted to shout out loud how fantastic it was to give birth and can remember thinking how relatively easy it had been - no epidural and straightforward labor. I know that this isn't always the case for many labor stories, so I appreciated the fact that I was one of the lucky ones who had a positive birth experience to share.
After a few months, I started to develop some symptoms that led me to be concerned. I was eating a lot of food, as I was breastfeeding, yet I was losing lots of weight. At first, I thought some magical spell had worked wonders and my pregnancy weight was falling off easily. Miracle. But then I started to tremble badly in my legs and also felt very cold all the time. I also felt like I was ‘high’ all the time, looking back now, almost manic. When I started to lose my hair I realized that I needed to visit my doctor. It was by this point, 6 months after giving birth. To cut a long story short, she suspected my thyroid was responsible and I was diagnosed with Graves disease - an overactive thyroid gland causing hyperthyroidism.
I was told that I either needed to:
- have my thyroid gland removed and remain on Thyroxine for the rest of my life
- drink radio active iodine and kill off the thyroid gland and remain of Thyroxine forever
- take medication to see if I could balance it.
As a natural health advocate all these options seemed horrid. I wanted to actually try the natural route but my doctor scared me so much with stories of ‘thyroid storm’ (where your thyroid gland goes crazy and releases potentially harmful levels of TSH that it can lead to a stroke). Unwillingly but slightly frightened, I opted for medication.
I took the medication for 3 months whilst also starting my own natural healthcare regime. My thyroid actually reacted so well to the medication that it reversed the hyperthyroidism and I became hypothyroidic. Then, I had to take Thyroxine as my body wasn't producing enough. After 6 months of yo-yo-ing, I felt so bad that I decided to stop taking anything at all.
I was determined to do this naturally and continue my preferred natural route, against the strong advice of my doctors. Call me stubborn, call me stupid, call me ‘following my instinct’.....whatever I was acting upon, it felt right.
I changed my diet cutting out any iodine rich foods (the sushi had to go, as did the eggs and tuna). I ate lots of fresh vegetable and fruit and lots of fish (salmon and whitefish). I also adopted an Ayurvedic diet for the most part which included several hormonal balancing herbs including Ashwagandha and Shatavari. I started having acupuncture treatments, as well as, weekly shiatsu sessions. I began exercising regularly and generally I really took better care of myself making sure I got as much sleep as possible and rested when I could.
Fast forward another 6 months, my next thyroid test results astounded the doctors. My thyroid was perfectly normal. They couldn't explain it and I was discharged with instructions to test my thyroid every 6 months.
Fast forward 14 years, plus three more children and my thyroid is still doing well. Of course along the way there has been ups and owns but the last test (a month ago) showed that I am perfectly within range. Bottom line is that I still have my thyroid gland intact and healthy.
I strongly advocate for natural medication where possible, and aim for preventative measure where I can. I am under no illusion that I can slip back into having an unhealthy thyroid but for now, the way I am taking care of my body is working just fine.
Nowadays, I have the occasional acupuncture session as and when I feel the need. I exercise regularly. Eat well and I take a range of vitamins and minerals that I believe help me balance my thyroid and keep it healthy. I wanted to share with you a great all natural thyroid support product that I think is worth its weight in gold. This short review is about Research Verified Thyroid Aid. I wanted to share with you some of the reasons why I think that it is a great product.
- It Works! Not only can I advocate for this product, it has some great reviews from some really happy customers. This is a great way of knowing whether or not a product works. So check out their reviews on Amazon and many different review sites to get the whole picture about how this might work for you.
- Research Verified have a great reputation in the industry and it shows by their amazing 1-year money back guarantee. You can try any of their products for 365 days and if you are not happy, you can return them, empty bottles too and you will get a full refund. Now that is what I call confidence in your product!
- They provide some great deals for multiple purchases online. Thyroid health is a long term affair so I love the fact they give you some great discounts for purchasing a 6 bottle supply saving you over $200.
- The ingredients they use are top quality, pure and all natural. This means that there are no nasty side effects. For me, this was very important because I had felt so awful taking prescription medication.
- It is easily available to order online. For an internet shopping enthusiast this is great news. Delivery is fast and straight to your door!
- Contains an excellent variety of ingredients designed to support and balance the thyroid gland. They include one of my personal favorites from the practice of Ayurvedic medicine - Ashwagandha root, which is known to nourish the thyroid.
There are more! I could go on…..but I think that you get the point. It worked for me but you need to check it out for yourself on their website.
I think that the medical model is so quick to diagnose and treat conditions in a drastic non-reversible way. Had I listened to the doctor I would be without my thyroid and having to take Thyroxine for the rest of my life. Or, I could have drank the radioactive iodine and who knows what would be going on in my body right now! Or my babies for that matter!
So, my message is this. Do your homework. Don't just accept what the doctors are telling you, there could be another way. A more natural way that is better for the health of your body and the health of your family.